Ugandian forum: Phones, gadgets and apps - Nokia Lumia 1520 review with price in Uganda
Share this topic
27 Aug 2014 17:20

With Android phone/tablet hybrids, or phablets, everywhere you look, it was only a matter of time before Nokia launched its own Windows Phone model.

The Lumia 1520 does fit in a very defined niche, however; phablets are aimed squarely at those who are willing to compromise slightly on portability and screen size so as not to have to buy or carry both a phone and a tablet. It's also the very first Windows Phone with a Full HD screen. Now I want to quickly review this smartphone:

Nokia Lumia 1520
”Nokia

Dimensions

The Nokia Lumia 1520 is a very large yet not too heavy smartphone that just about fits into a trouser or jacket pocket, weighing 209g and measuring 162.8x85.4x8.7mm. It has a solidly built unibody design that feels like it should withstand the odd knock or two. The lens is a 26mm equivalent optic with a fast maximum aperture of f/2.4, above which is a thin lozenge-shaped dual-LED flash that's not particularly powerful, offering an operating range of 3m.

Processor

The 1520 is also fast. Its quad-core 2.2GHz Snapdragon 800 processor is the fastest we've seen in a Windows Phone 8 handset, and the operating system simply flies. The 1520 has the same processor as the Galaxy Note 3, but Windows Phone 8's version of Internet Explorer is a particularly fast browser.

Battery

Battery life is yet another big plus for the Lumia 1520. I've never come anywhere close to running out of juice by the end of a day, even with fairly heavy usage. And in our more formal test, where I streamed video over Wi-Fi with brightness on "Medium" (which is still pretty bright), it lasted an impressive seven hours and 43 minutes. No worries whatsoever in that department.

Camera

The PureView branded camera combines a 1/2.5-inch 20MP BSI CMOS sensor with a F2.4 lens and optical image stabilization. Following the same concept as the Nokia 808 and Lumia 1020 the new model saves downsampled 5MP images but also lets you access the full 20MP files.

In addition you can set the Lumia 1520 to capture DNG Raw-files which is great news for all those users who like to optimize their image in post-production.

If you are interested in Nokia phones and you’re choosing which one to buy, then I suggest you to check my other reviews: Nokia Asha Phones, Prices and Specs in Uganda, Most stylish phones in Uganda this year and online marketplaces for lower priced phones.

Edited by TechBoy / 27 Aug 2014 17:20