Ugandian forum: Phones, gadgets and apps - How To Buy The Best Phone In Uganda - Tips
Share this topic
21 Aug 2014 13:42

There are wide variety of featured phones and smartphones in Uganda. You can buy them in most electronics stores, online marketplaces in Kampala or even from a friend. Therefore, you have to decide what phone exactly do you need and how much are you ready to spend on it. Today I’m going to discuss several thing which you need to pay attention to, when buying a phone in Uganda.

1. How much money do I have?

You can choose from the feature phone and smartphone. Feature phone is usually less expensive, because it is low-end and has limited capabilities.

Feature phones typically provide voice calling and text messaging functionality, in addition to basic multimedia and internet capabilities, and other services offered by the user's wireless service provider.

However, their functionality and support for third-party software is still relatively limited in comparison to smartphones—as a result of this contrast, some feature phones are also referred to as dumb phones.

In contrast to it, a smartphone (or smart phone) like better Nokia or Samsung phone, is a mobile phone with more advanced computing capability and connectivity than basic feature phones.

2. What style of phone I want?

Touchscreen smartphones are slab shaped with few physical buttons while BlackBerry-style devices have smaller displays but include full Qwerty keyboards, which you may find easier to use when writing messages.

3. Which features are the most important for me?

If you want a cheap mobile phone, then forget about large screen, lots of storage, good camera and music quality or easy web browsing.

Many cheap mobile phones come with basic but useful entertainment features – usually a music player, FM radio and an on-board camera. All are useful extras, but don't expect great pics or sound quality.

Most cheap mobile phones have a tiny amount of internal storage memory (typically 20MB or less), which makes it tricky to store more than a few photos or listen to lots of music. Many models have memory card slots so you can use a cheap microSD card to boost their storage capacity.

Feature phone vs. smartphone

4. What size of screen do I need?

The smaller screens of pocket-friendly basic handsets are fine for calls and text, while a larger screen makes viewing web pages and reading email easier. Premium smartphone with screens up to 4, 5 or even 6 inches make it easier to watch movies and play games but a large screen will drain your phone's battery quicker.

5. Which network you want to join?

Whether you opt for a pay as you go, pay monthly or even a SIM only deal, make sure it matches how you use your phone. And check that the network you're considering has a good signal where you live.

I hope this helped you and you liked my post, if so, then please leave me your feedback down below!

Also, please check my other posts on: Review of best Samsung smartphones in Uganda and How To Make Extra Cash To Your Pocket In Uganda Online?.

Edited by TechBoy / 25 Aug 2014 11:02