Technical Advisor, IYCF/Nutrition; Alive & Thrive (A&T) Project
Job opening: technology jobs, jobs in Nigeria
Technical Advisor, IYCF/Nutrition; Alive & Thrive (A&T) Project
- The A&T Nigeria Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF)/Nutrition Advisor will work as part of an A&T Nigeria senior technical leadership team led by the A&T Nigeria Country Director.
- The IYCF/Nutrition Advisor is responsible for providing IYCF and nutrition technical leadership to the Government of Nigeria’s National Strategic Plan of Action for Nutrition (2014-2019), specifically the FMOH; international donors, agencies, and projects; private/commercial and NGO representatives and projects; and other partners and stakeholders to help in the design, implementation, monitoring, and improvement of IYCF social and behavior change communication strategies, approaches, and intervention designs towards the improvement of breastfeeding and complementary feeding practices.
- This position helps A&T Nigeria provide capacity building (technical assistance and training) at the federal level in Abuja, and in metropolitan Lagos, and rural and urban Kaduna state for the four components that A&T will work through: policy and advocacy; interpersonal communication and community mobilization; mass communication; and strategic collection and use of data.
- The position will also ensure the quality and accuracy of IYCF messages, materials, tools, and indicators being developed and utilized in A&T’s program as well as with other IYCF-related programs in the public, private/commercial, and NGO sectors.
- This position will communicate, connect, and coordinate with other A&T HQ and A&T Nigeria office technical staff, subcontractors, partners, government and NGO stakeholders, and international donors to ensure successful design and implementation of the large and complex portfolio of activities expected
- in A&T Nigeria’s program. This position will provide highest level IYCF/nutrition strategic program and technical leadership and quality assurance in Nigeria.
- Serve as a technical and program advisor to GON, international donors, private sector and NGO leaders in various national working groups and task forces related to the National Strategic Plan of Action for Nutrition.
- Support the development and implementation of strategic planning and coordination of IYCF and IYCF-sensitive BCC programs in the context of the National Strategic Plan of Action for Nutrition. Provide oversight to the same collaborative approach at the state levels in Lagos and Kaduna.
- Support and guide the work of the A&T Nigeria Senior Leadership Team as it works with its partners to provide capacity building (TA and training) in advocacy and policy, interpersonal communications and community mobilization, mass communication and strategic collection and use of data
- Provide in-service technical and program leadership input to ensure a high quality of messaging, BCC materials, training, supportive supervision, and monitoring is conducted and distributed through A&T’s partnerships, and especially within the FMOH, and with partners in Lagos and Kaduna states. This includes skills training of trainers, message and interpersonal materials/job aids development, supportive supervision strengthening for front line workers (Primary Health Care, private/commercial services, NGO projects).
- This involves examining, strengthening, and building capacity to improve the quality of interpersonal communication within and from the supervisor, health care worker, and community volunteer to the community and households.
- Provide technical direction, coordination, and implementation support to the FMOH to support the conduct (as needed) of the following types of activities:
- Desk review and mapping of current IYCF interventions
- Revitalization of the IYCF working group
- Harmonize FMOH IYCF programs
- Identify gaps in IYCF program implementation and recommend adjustments as required
- Develop M&E frame work for IYCF
- Provide guidance and input into IYCF training manuals and BCC materials development
- Support and guide the work of the A&T Nigeria Senior Leadership Team as it oversees an “at scale” state implementation of A&T’s four components in metropolitan Lagos and rural and urban Kaduna.
- This includes providing technical assistance and training directly to the A&T Nigeria staff hired and based in the two states and to private/commercial and/or NGOs subcontracted to conduct advocacy and policy, interpersonal communication and community mobilization, mass communication, and strategic collection and use of data.
- Support initiatives which provide advocacy, guidelines, and materials development to medical, nursing, and health education institutions, including pre-service curricula development for medical, nursing, health education schools and programs in the university setting.
- Contribute to the development of A&T annual work plans and project reports, and ensure timely reporting and responses for information to HQ
- Actively participate in, contribute to, and in some cases conduct or help facilitate major A&T program development and implementation activities (strategic planning, program presentations, advocacy and policy meetings, workshops), as appropriate
- Work closely with A&T Nigeria Senior Leadership Team and Country Director to leverage other international donor and private sector resources to complement and extend project reach
- Present program results, based on program experience, M&E and evaluation data to the GON, projects and partners, and other professional colleagues and organizations, both in country and internationally
- PhD in one of the following or related fields: Human Nutrition, International Public Health, Behavior Change Communications, Behavioral Science. MSc with additional work experience equivalent to a PhD may be acceptable.
- At least 12 years of relevant experience in Nigeria (similar global experience may be acceptable) required with at least 5 years in a senior technical leadership role providing technical input to a large scale nutrition or public health project across multiple levels (and sectors). Work experience with international projects and donors also preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of infant and young child feeding.
- Recent senior technical and program work experience (3-5 years in the last 10 years) in Nigeria (similar setting may be acceptable).
- Extensive public health/nutrition field experience in designing, implementing, monitoring and reporting on capacity building in more than one component ( policy and advocacy, interpersonal communication and community mobilization, mass communication, strategic collection and use of data)
- Familiarity with nutrition indicators especially IYCF data collection, analysis, strategic data use, and report-outs
- Ability to work independently, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities while communicating, connecting, and collaborating with HQ and field office staff, subcontractors, and a broad coalition of government, NGO, and international project partners.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory, and organizational skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent writing, editorial, training, and communication skills, including strong presentation skills
- Fluency in English required; fluency in Hausa, Yoruba also very strongly preferred.
- Equipment to be used: Computers, fax machine, telephones, calculators, and/or similar devices.
- Typical physical demands: Works in a typical office setting.
- Working conditions including Travel and Overtime: Travel from Abuja to and from Lagos and Kaduna 50% time.
ATTENTION! Do not make any advance payments to any seller on Mobofree, not even for delivery! You may get scammed by unfair seller. Please report abuse to help us stop scam! To keep yourself safe, make sure to follow our Safety tips!