Embassy of Ireland recruitment for a Graduate Economic
Job opening: other jobs, jobs in Nigeria
Embassy of Ireland recruitment for a Graduate Economic
Embassy of Ireland recruitment for a Graduate Economic Development Officer in Abuja
We wish to recruit suitably qualified candidate to support the Embassy's economic work:
Job Title: Economic Development Officer
Department: Foreign Affairs & Trade
- A competition will be held for the post of Economic Development Officer at the Embassy of Ireland in Abuja. This competition will be an external competition for a full time position based at the Embassy of Ireland in Abuja and is for a one year contract in the first instance.
- Candidates should note that canvassing will disqualify and will result in their exclusion from the process.
- The Embassy of Ireland manages all aspects of Ireland’s relationship with Nigeria, with secondary accreditations to Ghana, Senegal and ECOWAS.
- The promotion of economic ties between Nigeria and Ireland, particularly Irish businesses operating in Nigeria, is integral to the work of the Embassy.
- The Embassy wishes to recruit a development officer to support the Embassy’s economic work.
- The position requires a deep knowledge of the Nigeria economy, a high degree of professionalism, third level education, good oral and written communication, good organisational skills, and the ability to be flexible as demands and priorities change.
- Duties may vary from time to time, based upon the requirements of the Mission and may include other tasks as instructed by your line manager and/or the Head of Mission.
- As an Economic Development Officer you are not a member of the technical and administrative staff of the Mission.
The precise range of duties will vary over time according to the exigencies of the needs of the Embassy, but will include the following:
- Collation and analysis of economic data to inform the Embassy of business opportunities and constraints at State and Federal level. This will include the ability to summarise key issues of interest to Irish companies including any change in tariffs or import constraints potentially affecting Irish exports to Nigeria;
- Ensure that the commercial advice on the Embassy website is up-to-date and useful,that the commercial content on the site is regularly updated and develop the Embassy's social media output on our commercial work;
- Prepare other papers on general economic and trade developments as requested by the Head of Mission;
- Support the Head of Mission and Deputy Head of Mission in developing annual Business Plans, risk profiles and reports;
- When required, represent the Mission at meetings with stakeholders of relevance to the economic work of the Embassy;
- Facilitate in-country visits of Irish business or public sector contacts;
- Ensure excellent communications with colleagues in the Mission, at Headquarters and with partners.
- Liaise with Enterprise Ireland, Bord Bia and other Irish State Agencies on areas of mutual interest;
- Acting as first point of contact for Irish companies contacting the Embassy for trade related assistance;
- Establishment of an Ireland-Nigeria alumni network;
- Assist in contacts with the EU, World Bank and IMF on trade and economic issues;
- Prepare economic and political economy briefs for all visits to Nigerian States level for the Head or Deputy Head of Mission and liaise with federal and local government officers in the development of work programmes for the visits;
- The post of Economic Development Officer will work closely with the diplomatic staff of the Embassy on all aspects of the Embassy’s trade promotion work.
- The Economic Development Officer will be required to have a deep appreciation for, and the flexibility to respond to, the complex and evolving economic environment within which the Embassy is situated.
To be eligible the following qualifications and competencies are required:
- Degree in a discipline of relevance to the role of Economic Development Officer (Level 8),
- Post-graduate Degree in a relevant discipline (Level 9)
- Fluency in English;
- Effective communication, networking and reporting skills (including understanding,reporting and communicating complex information);
- Initiative and Team Work (capacity to motivate staff; innovate; participate in / lead teams aimed at process or organisational reform); and
- Good representational, networking and influencing skills.
- Minimum of seven years relevant work experience;
- Strong knowledge of the Nigerian Economy;
- Independent means of transport;
- The legal right to work in Nigeria;
- High degree of integrity and trust;
- Knowledge of the Agricultural Sector;
- Fluency in a major Nigerian language;
- Experience of Trade Promotion work; and
- Experience working in an International Organisation, Diplomatic Mission or other International Environment.
- Knowledge of the Irish economy;
- Office administration experience;
- Database management skills;
- Have the knowledge and ability to discharge the duties of the post concerned
- Be suitable on the grounds of character
- Be suitable in all other relevant respects for appointment to the post concerned;
- Agree to undertake the duties attached to the post and accept the conditions under which the duties are, or may be required to be, performed
- Are fully competent and available to undertake, and fully capable of undertaking, the duties attached to the position
The selection may include:
- Shortlisting of candidates on the basis of the information contained in their application;
- Presentation or other exercises;
- One or more competitive interview; and
- Any other tests or exercises that may be deemed appropriate.
The successful candidate will be based in the Embassy of Ireland, Abuja. Though Abuja based, s/he will be required to undertake in-country travel within Nigeria and possibly also international travel in the region or to Ireland. Independent means of transport is required.
- The gross monthly salary shall be 575,000 naira to be paid in arrears by the 25th of each month.
- Tax will be deducted in line with the Taxation Laws of Nigeria. Payment of salaries will be made directly into your bank account.
- You will also receive a 13th month salary together with your December salary. Thirteenth month salary is calculated on the basis of one year in service or part thereof.
- The successful applicant will be offered a 1 year contract. A 5 month probationary period will apply. At the discretion of the Minister the probationary period may be extended for a further period of 5 months.
- The contract will include a requirement for regular performance assessment. The contract will be subject to the laws of Nigeria.
- You shall be employed within the Embassy of Ireland for the purposes outlined above, in Nigeria. Your continuing employment is contingent, inter alia, on the demands of the Irish Embassy in Nigeria. This is without prejudice to your rights under Nigerian law. Changes in the business plan of the Embassy will lead to a review of the position of the employee.
- The appointment carries no entitlement to established status in the Irish Civil Service, nor to a contract of infinite duration. As regards the Irish Civil Service, the appointment is to a "temporary un-established position".
- During the first five months of employment in the post you will be on probation and your performance will be subject to ongoing review. The appointment may be terminated without notice at any time during the probationary period if your services are deemed unsatisfactory from the point of view of conduct, performance, health or general efficiency.
- Should your contract be renewed your salary will be reviewed and an increase may be granted on the basis of satisfactory performance in line with a defined salary scale. 5
- The position is whole-time and, upon appointment thereto, it will be a breach of the terms and conditions of this contract if you engage in or become connected with any outside business which would interfere with the performance of your official duties.
- Candidates are required to declare any other employment, interests or potential sources of a conflict of interest.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates for this position must submit the following (incomplete applications will not be considered):
- A current resume or curriculum vitae (2 pages maximum) that provides;
- Details of University degree(s) or diploma(s) and details of subjects studies and grades earned;
- Names and contact details for three referees (Please note: we will not contact your referees without your prior permission)
- A type-written and signed application letter (2 pages maximum) specifically applying for this position and addressing the essential requirements as advertised.
- Supporting documentation in the form of original documents will be required from short-listed applicants, including:
- Proof of your legal right to work in Nigeria (e.g. Nigerian passport or working visa);
- References from former employers; and
- Original University Degree certificates
- Only electronic applications sent via email will be accepted.
- Application emails should include the subject "Abuja Economic Development Officer Applicant (insert name) 2016”. Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures or other formats.
- Only applications fully submitted online will be accepted into the campaign. Applications will not be accepted after the online closing date.
- If you do not receive an acknowledgement of receipt of your application by Wednesday the 9th of March, please contact us by email at
- The interviews for these posts are to be held in late March/ early April 2016 in the Embassy of Ireland in Abuja.
- Candidates should make themselves available at the time and date(s) specified by the Embassy of Ireland and should make sure that the contact details specified on the application form are correct. Costs associated with attendance at interview will be borne by the candidate.
ATTENTION! Do not make any advance payments to any seller on Mobofree, not even for delivery! You may get scammed by unfair seller. Please report abuse to help us stop scam! To keep yourself safe, make sure to follow our Safety tips!